Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Time...Is There Ever Enough?


Time…it is a tricky subject these days.  It seems like there is never enough. 

A couple of weeks ago, ten children (ages 1-17) lost their father unexpectedly.  Yesterday, a colleague of mine lost her husband unexpectedly.  One thing these terrible accidents have reminded me  of is that time is precious and we really never know when our time on earth may end.  So, we must use our time wisely. 

In school today, I think there are so many things vying for our time…but ultimately what we choose to do with our time is our decision.  As teachers, some of our day is dictated to us and we may not have choice in every minute of our day.  However, there are a lot of hours that are ours to choose.  I believe that we choose to spend that time on what we value.  We fill our time with the things that are important to us!  So, my question today is…what do you value? 

The other day, I found myself saying I wish I had just one more hour in my day.  My awesome friend reminded me…”Lyndsi, you would just fill it up too.”  She’s right, I would. So, maybe I do not want more time.  I just need to make sure I spend the time I have wisely!  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the meaningful reminders of the ultimate value of time; and for the focus on how we spend time during our more routine moments. I've been working on "spending" my time at school wisely; scheduling deliberately time to be in classroom and to have conversations with teachers about student learning. Often I fall short of my goals for time, yet recognizing that time is a precious resource, to be used wisely, does focus me. I very much appreciate your reflections.

    ReplyDelete